Tuesday, May 26, 2015

I am too a Brown Girl Dreaming

I am about half way done with Jacqueline Woodson’s award winning book Brown Girl Dreaming.  I was immediately transported into the Woodson family as the author eloquently writes about her life growing up as a child of the north with southern roots.  I related greatly to the stories of taking fried chicken and peaches on the road that grandmother had prepared for the long ride back to the north after spending free-spirited summers in the south.  Although the era was before my time, I am not far removed from the memories of my grandparents playing an integral part in my growing up.  My favorite moments in the book are the experiences that Woodson has when she is around her extended family sitting at their feet soaking in all that she could helping to define who she is as both a Woodson and Irby (paternal and maternal last names).  Stories told of the past and life advice for the future seem to be the very thing that creates a brown girl dreaming.  Woodson's story is so similar to my own and I too see myself as a brown girl with a dream.  I can’t wait to finish the title and share more with you. Until then read on!

Brown Girl Dreaming. (2014) Woodson, J.



No comments:

Post a Comment